Chai tea for a month, home made, inexpensive and prepared in 15 minutes
For the Chai Spice Blend:
- 6 sticks of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (20gm) star anise (approx 18-20)
- 1 tbspn (5gm) cardamon pods (approx 70 pods)
- 3 tspns cloves (10gm)
- 2 tspns black peppercorns
- 60gm sliced fresh ginger (no need to peel – about 20 slices)
- 2 tblspns warmed honey
- 1 cup black tea (85gm)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, place all spices on baking tray and roast for 5 minutes until fragrant
- Blitz all spices in food processor or grinder until broken into much smaller pieces
- Place in a bowl and mix through the honey.
At this stage you can keep the mix as it is, you should have approximately 125gm of spice mix. Add a teaspoon of water and keep in an airtight jar in the fridge.
Or if you prefer to have the chai tea blend made up completely add the cup of black tea leaves, and a tablespoon of water mixing well before placing into airtight jar and refrigerating.
- Chai blend will last for several months in the fridge
- The amount you use is really dependent on individual taste. I use 1-2 tablespoons per cup
- Place desired amount into teapot and pour over 1/3 cup of hot water. Heat 2/3 of a cup of milk pouring this into the pot.
- Allow the pot to brew for 2-3 minutes before straining and sweetening if needed.